There are so many options available when you are looking for window coverings. Choosing between the different types of blinds and shades, fabrics and options – not to mention custom treatments like draperies and valances. While the choices may seem overwhelming there are only a few treatments that will work best for YOUR home. Asking the right questions when you begin shopping will help you narrow your choices quickly.
1. What if I need privacy for certain windows? Hunter Douglas has a wide range of products available in different fabric opacities to suit your needs. You could choose a sheer or semi sheer product on some windows and opt for something room darkening for others, say your bedrooms. You could also decide on a specialty option like top down/bottom up shades allowing for privacy at the lower portion of the window but allow light at the top.
2. What if I have different types of windows in one room? If you have a patio door and several windows in one room, you may want to consider products that coordinate. For example, Silhouettes and Luminettes from Hunter Douglas can be purchased in the same fabrics allowing for seamless transition between the window and patio door.
3. Will the window covering provide insulation? If you have an issue with heat escaping from your home during the winter or it being too hot during the summer months adding a shade with insulating qualities – like a honeycomb shade – can reduce the heat transfer at the window, making your home more comfortable and save you money on heating/cooling bills. Hunter Douglas Duette or Applause shades would be a perfect choice for this application.
4. Can I get a treatment that adds a decorative accent to my room? Some shades, like Roman shades add both decorative accent and sun control in one product. Adding a decorative valance, cornice or drapery panel to a window with a basic blind will give you the accent you want with the sun control you need. Or, opting for a fully traversing set of draperies is another way to combine both beauty and function at the window. At Normandeau we have an array of fabrics and decorative accents to help you achieve the look you want.
5. What type of maintenance is required? Hard treatments, such as wood or aluminum blinds, show dust more quickly than fabric shades do. For fabric we recommend just a light vacuum with the upholstery attachment.
6. Do you have products for my budget? Determining your budget ahead of time will help you narrow your window treatment choices considerably. Hunter Douglas has products available in a wide price range to suit any budget. If you have your budget in mind when you start shopping it will help your consultant guide you to the products that will work best for you.
7. What is the warranty? Hunter Douglas has a limited Lifetime Warranty for as long as you own your home on all their window treatments. As well, Normandeau Window Coverings provides a service warranty that you will want to ask your consultant about!
8. What are the lead times? You can expect to wait approximately 3-4 weeks from time of order to installation on most Hunter Douglas products and 4-6 weeks for most draperies.