Shades are a versatile window covering used to block out the sun. They come in a wide range of types and styles. You don’t have to get a shade just to block the sun; you can also add beauty and elegance to lighten up your home decor. With so many types of window shades on the market, the choices are enormous – meaning determining the best option for your place can be hard. Before going shopping, it’s important to learn about the different types of shades and how to choose what window coverings will best suit your space. Let’s take a look at the different kinds of shades.
These are the most well-known type of window shade. They are popular among designers because of their seamless look and soft lapels. Roman window shades are a convenient choice that can be customized with a variety of fabrics. They are typically opened with a string device that enables the user to modify the height of the covered area. They also come in motorized options which are safer for children.
When you choose to go with Roman shades there are things you have to consider:
- They work with all types of windows and sizes, which is an added advantage
- They are constructed in many ways allowing them to blend seamlessly with any home décor
- Custom designed Roman shades can be made in any fabric so you can coordinate them with the room’s décor – or your whole home!
- Clothed Roman shades made of bamboo and grass give your home a casual look while polyester shades give a more elegant look
- Looped Roman Shades are intended to create depth and dimension because they have folds that cascade down
- They are constructed from many kinds of materials, the most common being wood and fabric
If you want a modern look, then go with one of the many polyester shades available. If you want a classical feel, then use clothed Roman shades.
Roller shades present a neat, modernized appearance for your home. They make a strong style statement all on their own. Roller shades can be placed under drapes and curtains to increase privacy.
What you should consider:
- Roller shades are best used with narrow windows and work well in any room. So, consider them for your bathroom
- If you are in an apartment in a busy city with a lot of street light, you should place roller shades in your living room and add a curtain on top
- There are two main types of material used in roller shades; vinyl and fabric. Fabric because is smooth, soft and child-friendly
Cellular Shades Calgary
Cellular shades, usually called honeycomb shades, are a good modern covering used to block or filter the light entering your home. They are a modern-day invention because they are made of soft paper or cloth. During the summer heat circulates in your space, making the air inside very warm; while during winter air circulates in your home, cooling it down. Cellular shades trap air, creating a barrier between the window and your space, providing a bit of extra insulation.
Things to consider:
- They are perfect for your living room and your bedroom because they filter light very efficiently, meaning you will get the required amount of light in your space
- Cordless cellular shades are suitable for your kid’s room because they reduce the risk of harm
- They also come in custom shapes, so if your space has a custom window, you can order a custom cellular shade to fit it
Pleated window shades are made from pleated fabric, that helps add texture to your home decor. They can close completely and hide from sight when opened. They can either open from top to bottom or vice versa. This is good for your bathroom or (if you have one) a spa room. Use pleated shades if you don’t want people to see inside your home, but you still want natural light to be able to pass through. Pleated shades also work exceptionally well on any glass door.
Keep in mind:
- Pleated shades are perfect for your living room and your bedroom
- They are made of fabric that helps in room darkening and light filtering; look for one that suits your space needs
- They also can be motorized, which is a great safety feature if you have kids or pets
- The downside is that small insects can crawl into the hollow spaces and die, making cleaning a bit tedious
Now that you have all this knowledge, it’s time to do a bit of digging. Start by getting your home color palette before going shopping. Know your window design and dimensions. Unlike blinds, any window shade you choose for your home will completely cover your window. In addition to selecting the best style that will fit your home décor, you have to know what color you want and what your budget is.
We will make sure your new window treatments are perfectly installed! Call to arrange an appointment today!